Hello, everyone! Can you believe it is almost Spring??! And you know that that means, lots and lots of babies! So I am back again with another post for my “Mommy Must Haves” series and this time I’m talking about newborn essentials.
So a little back story why I even decided to create this list. When I was about ready to pop with Holland I found out my closest cousins was expecting. I was soo excited for not only her to become a mommy but because our babies were only going to be 7 months apart! Of course, after the initial excitement, we started chatting about all the baby essentials she was going to need. So while waiting for Holland to make her debut, I compiled a list of essential products for mommy and baby.
So here are the products that I believe any new mommy should not go without!
Let’s talk about Mommy first:
- Natural Personal Care Products- This is something that I wish I would have been into when I was pregnant with Hayden. Granted, she is perfectly healthy and happy, but I think the fewer chemicals we can expose our kids to the better. Am I right mommas?! So when I became pregnant this time around, after doing my own personal research (which everyone should do before making any type of personal decisions), I decided to go the more natural and organic route as far as my personal care products were concerned. My first change was to switch my basic deodorant to an aluminum-free version,
lik e Tom’s Long Lasting Natural Stick Deodorant.(UPDATE: I have recently switched to Shmidt’s Natural Deodorant and love it!) Now, I wouldn’t say it’s the best natural deodorant, but it kept aluminum out of my breast tissue and breast milk and that was my main concern. I also hear Primal Pit Paste is a great option too! I also swapped out my normal shampoo, conditioner, and body wash with products that contained no BPA, Parabens, or artificial fragrances. It seems like a little drastic, but to me it just made sense. If you too are looking to swap out some of your products in place of more natural/organic options, I highly suggest checking out the Organic Bunny. She’s kinda the whole reason I decided to be more conscientious about what goes on my body.
- Refined Organic Coconut Oil- This is a product that I used my entire pregnancy and still use on a daily basis. I literally use this sh*t on everything! From my hair to my skin and even on baby, I just can’t get enough of this stuff. And not only is it great for mama’s skin it’s kind on baby’s too! Not too mention its chemical free, unlike other baby moisturizers, and can be ingested by baby without doing any harm! Now you may have noticed I listed it as refined organic coconut oil because there is a difference. You’ll notice when you’re shopping there will be refined and unrefined versions. So what’s the difference? Well, refined just means the coconut oil goes through a process where all the impurities are extracted (i.e. dust, particles, etc.) which is what you need if baby possibly might ingest some. And while unrefined may be the purest form, it’s not suggested for raw consumption. Again, before switching any products do your research and find out what is best for you and your family!
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter- This is another product that I could not live without. Any breastfeeding mom knows how uncomfortable cracked and bleeding nipples can be. And while nothing during this stage in breastfeeding seems to bring relief, Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter is a product that can! The first verified non-GMO and lanolin (a secretion from lamb’s wool) free nipple cream, Earth Mama Angel Baby is not only safe for mom but safe for baby too. Now when purchasing, I know what you’ll be thinking. “$13 for a tiny little canister?!” But believe me, a little goes a looong way! I have yet to run out of mine and I’ve had it for over a year. Also, the best part is it has other uses! I have used mine for chapped lips, dry patches of skin, and even diaper rash. It is definitely a product that every breastfeeding momma should splurge on.
- Pregnancy Pillow- I seriously would not have survived either pregnancy without this. In fact, I still sleep with mine to this day because it is just so comfortable! Even the baby daddy tries to use it, but to no avail (hehe). Nowadays there are tons of options in all shapes and sizes, but my favorite has always been the Boppy brand. It is also great to use when breastfeeding and as a supportive pillow to prop baby up with. Believe me, once you purchase one you will never sleep without it.
Now, on to Baby:
- Natural Bath and Body Care Products- Just like momma, baby is going to need some nice and natural chemical free products. Luckily, the market for such items has vastly grown and you can find them almost everywhere. The downside is not all products are what they claim to be, so again, it is important to do your research! By far my favorite is BabySpa. It isn’t organic but it is free of BPA, Sulfates, Parabens, and Mineral Oil and is 95% natural. We personally have tried the 3-1 Baby Shampoo, Body Wash & Moisturizer, and the Moisturizing Body Lotion and loved them both! Although, I prefer using coconut oil to lotion on my little one. We also have heard good things about Burt’s Bees Baby 100% Natural Soap.
- Swaddling Blankets/Burp Cloths- These are two things that you are going to need a lot of, besides diapers and wipes. Almost every brand makes swaddling and burping clothes, but my favorites come from Aden by Aden + Anais. They come in super cute patterns and are super light-weight and breathable. Perfect for babies and momma’s breastfeeding on the go. The burp clothes are also really cute, but you can find inexpensive ones almost anywhere.
- Diaper Pail- Now this is an item some people could live without, but I definitely can’t. Having baby walking around in a dirty diaper is enough stink for me. I don’t want the odor lingering around even after I change her. That’s why I find the diaper pail completely necessary. And while buying separate, sometimes expensive, trash bags may seem like an annoyance, it’s worth it. Plus, some brands like the Ubbi Steel Diaper Pail no longer require special bags and even accommodate more eco-friendly cloth liners! But if spending a pretty penny on a diaper pail is not in the budget, the Munchkin Arm & Hammer Diaper Pail works just as well and is about half the price!
- Portable Changing Mat- Public restrooms can be quite disgusting, so why shouldn’t baby have something to shield him/her from all the germs? Just like a toilet seat cover, a portable changing pad will keep baby from being exposed to any filth or germs that are common place in most public restrooms. It’s also great for when a changing table isn’t readily available and because it’s waterproof will help prevent any accidents. And if an accident does happen, clean up is a breeze! It really is an essential item for any new momma’s diaper bag.
- A Durable Diaper Bag- Speaking of the diaper bags, you’re going to want to invest in a well-made and durable one. I remember with Hayden I went through 2 diaper bags within a year because I decided to go the cheap route. It’s going to be an item you will use every day and will often replace your purse, so make sure it’s not only cute but can withstand frequent use. So do your research and read some reviews. You’ll want to make sure what you are purchasing is worth it! Oh, and try to get a bag that can convert into a backpack, like this one from Fawn Design. It makes life so much easier when you’re not constantly re-adjusting your bag to keep it from falling off your shoulder.
- A Great Stroller and Car Seat- This is another item that should be of great quality and that you should splurge on. Not only because the safety of your baby is of the utmost importance, but because this is a product that you will use daily and if you invest in the correct one it will last you for years to come. I know I’m beginning to sound repetitive, but again, do your research! Find out what stroller will work best for you. Even after you read reviews go to the store and test it out! Odds are you may find something you hate/love that you didn’t read about in the reviews. In my opinion, a car seat and stroller combo or travel system will be the best bang for your buck. I’ve seen this one from BuyBuy Baby in action and also have heard great things, so check it out!
- Nasal Aspirator- This is something you may not think is necessary, but when you hear your baby struggling to breathe you’ll understand why I included it. Nothing can be more frustrating than a stuffy baby, especially when feeding, so having a good nose aspirator is key. The best ones are usually medical grade so try taking a few from the hospital upon your discharge. But if you forget you can always pick up the Nosefrida Nasal Aspirator.
- Tons of Diapers and Wipes- A no-brainer, but I can not stress this enough. You will not believe how many diapers a newborn can actually go through. So you’re going to need as many diapers and wipes as possible. I would even suggest start stockpiling as soon as you realize you’re expecting. Another great way to procure extra diapers is to have a diaper raffle at your shower or sprinkle. My favorite brand of both wipes and diapers is the Target brand Up & Up. They are reasonably priced and work extremely well.
There you have it, my “Mommy Must Haves” for newborn products. Of course, this list could go on and on, but these are the bare essentials that I feel no momma should go without. I know how overwhelming registering can be for the first time. So I hope this list will make it easier for you! Whether you’re a new momma or seasoned vet, feel free to ask me questions, offer suggestions, and share your favorite products with me in the comment section below!
Until next time!