So last time on my “Mommy Must Haves” series I shared my top swimsuits for this upcoming summer (if you missed it you can find it here). Well, this time I am going to continue our summer accessories discussion by covering beach essentials. If you live in Southern California then you know that summer and beach days go together like lemons and lemonade. You really can’t have one without the other. But I understand that as a mother with two little ones, having a beach day isn’t as easy as throwing on your bikini and grabbing your towel. Nowadays this fun little activity involves some planning and even packing. So with summer quickly approaching, I figured why not share my top beach essentials and make your planning that much less of a headache. So whether your plans involve hitting the beach or just taking a trip to the nearest lake or river, these are some products you are not going to want to leave home without.
Let’s get started!
(LEFT to RIGHT)
- Pop n’ Play Ultimate Play Yard: My cousin and I recently saw this at our nephew’s baseball game and thought it was totally cool. Not only does it provide a safe place to play, but it has built in shade! Which is perfect for those long days by the water. There are many different types of play yards with various features, but if you want to shop the one above just click here.
- Beach Bag: I, for one, think that a beach bag should not only be functional but stylish. That is why I’ve included this Nena & Co. convertible day bag as part of my beach essentials. This bag has been on my wish list for quite some time and I can’t wait to get my hands on one! Not only does it have that super-chic beachy vibe going on, but its durable and big enough to hold a bunch of goodies. Plus due to the fact that every bag is handmade, most of the products are one-of-a-kind! To shop these unique bags just click here.
- Sunscreen: This one is a no-brainer but I thought it should be discussed anyhow. So recently sunscreen has come under fire due to harmful ingredients and minerals found in most popular brands. While the long-term effects of these products have not been concluded and are deemed “safe” for public consumption, many of the ingredients in these products contain carcinogens, developmental and reproductive toxicity, allergies and immunotoxicity. Crazy, right? That is why I have decided to switch to a clean sunscreen, like ThinkBaby. To learn more about what harmful ingredients may be lurking in your sunscreen or other beauty products I suggest downloading the Think Dirty App. To shop the sunscreen above, click here.
- Oversized and Stylish Beach Towel: I know I am not the only one when I say that I love an oversized beach towel. Those small-regular beach towels just don’t cut it for me. I like to be able to sprawl out when I’m on the beach tanning. Even more so now that I have kids since everyone seems to end up on my towel. To shop the towel pictured above, click here. For more oversized towel options, shop here.
- Hydro Flask: Originally I didn’t see what the big deal was when my sister first introduced me to these, but I am now a believer. These are the only insulated bottles that will literally keep your water ice cold or your coffee super hot, ALL DAY. We take to Disneyland all the time and we never have to worry about our water being hot and gross by the end of the day. Which is perfect those scorching beach days, especially if you want to keep your adult beverage cold and concealed (wink*wink*). But the best part is that Hydro Flask actually sells specialized cups specifically for those adult beverages! To shop all Hydro Flask options click here. here.
- Sunglasses: Another no-brainer, but I wanted to share this brand I just found and am completely obsessed with, Valley Eyewear. So check them out!
- Mexican Blanket: A great staple to keep in the car for both beach days and picnics, Mexican blankets durable and great for anyone with kids. I love to just throw this down while at the beach so the kids have their own space. Plus, you can find them in various colors and usually at a reasonable price. To shop for a blanket of your own, click here.
- Cooler: Everyone with kids know that snacks are crucial. Kids can get extremely hangry and no one wants to deal with an angry baby when trying to have a relaxing day at the beach. So having a good cooler is a definite essential. While a soft cooler is probably easier to deal with, this Yeti Roadie is a lot more durable and will last you more than one summer. Plus, it will match you white Hydro Flask!
- Inflatable Pool: I know you may be wondering why, but hear me out on this. Unless you’re at a super calm beach without waves, you’re going to worry about your little ones going in the water. But if you bring a tiny pool, then those worries are gone! I never would have done this Hayden, but Holland is a totally different baby and has no fear. So instead of constantly chasing her as she dashes towards the waves, I’m hoping this pool will keep her occupied. Plus, if the waves get too big it’s a great place for all the kids to splash and play. To shop this small, portable pool click here.
- Tanning Oil: Other than having a great day with the kids, my main objective at the beach is to get the best tan possible. So to effectively carry this out, of course, I need tanning oil. Bali Body is not only made from natural ingredients, but I hear the smell is amazing! To shop Bali Body tanning products click here.
- Beach Mat: I was looking at traditional beach chairs when I came across this and was completely sold. Say goodbye to those weird tan line from sitting and hello perfect tan! But the best part is it completely folds up into a lightweight bag! No more awkward chair to carry around. To shop this beach mat just click here.
And there you have it. Everything you need to have the perfect beach day! If you have your own beach essentials I would love to hear in the comments below!